Thursday, August 25, 2016

Like death & taxes, Rough days are certain.

     "Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this Mama said" 

      With parenting of any kind this is true, but especially when you are an Autism parent. Days can go from absolutely amazing to the kind of day that you are simply just not sure you'll make it through, especially without injury whether it be physical or emotional.

     The thing is though YOU WILL make your way THROUGH it.  It is Hard, but you will become a seasoned warrior. Don't let your heart get hardened. Pain is a useful tool that will help you push yourself and your child further. Give yourself some time to grieve the what-ifs, the expectations and all of the could have beens. Then afterward REMEMBER Miracles happen and with hard work things that day one you thought were a travesty and impossible will become real and pliable and POSSIBLE.
     Some things may never happen, but sometimes it ends up okay, and even better, more interesting and much more meaningful things take its place. This is not one exercise and then your done with it; this tidbit of advice is very much like shampoo: wash, rinse, repeat; Daily if need be.  Having a child with Autism is hard; but I think the hardest part about our journey with HappyJay is all the expectations that society tells you: what is good, what's right and what's "normal" and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with HappyJay. Those are MY problems/issues/ what have you that I get into my feelings and feel some-type-of-way. When you step back it is apparent that it has everything to do with how we thought life would go, how our plans have changed, how we didn't get to fill out an order form or have to sign on for this adventure.

     I can tell you this, if HappyJay, Sparkles, The Wookie and I could live in our own little bubble without all the outside influences and worries; if we could control every reaction, and interaction that HappyJay has, I wouldn't worry nearly as much as I do. I don't think that Autism would scare me the way it does. What scares me about Autism, as I know is the same very real reason it scares a lot of other Autism parents; is what will happen in the future and what will happen when I'm not around. The fact that there is so much that we do not know gives me so much hope but on the same note there is fear that is anchored to my soul as well. 

Remember to Follow me on: Twitter @nontypicaljoy  Instagram at: nontypicaljoy  Pinterest at: nontypicaljoy

No comments:

Post a Comment